For 2017, we launched a new 11-day “Untamed Alaska” tour, the first of its kind, which takes travelers by train, boat and motor coach from Anchorage to Denali National Park and Preserve and then south to Prince William Sound.
This Alaska vacation package includes more off-the-beaten-path destinations like Cordova, Talkeetna and Valdez and two adventure days when guests can break away from the group and spend time exploring the Last Frontier in their own way.
Highlights of the trip include:
- A ride on the historic Alaska Railroad in premier GoldStar service
- A day of exploration and time with locals in the tiny hamlet of Talkeetna
- A private tour of Wolf’s Den Kennel to meet local musher, Mike Santos, his family and their team of Iditarod dogs
- A 92-mile wildlife tour into Denali National Park and Preserve searching for moose, caribou, Dall sheep and bears
- Two nights at Denali Backcountry Lodge, located on Moose Creek in Kantishna
- An adventure day in Kantishna: gold panning, hiking, mountain biking, berry picking, fishing in Wonder Lake or even a flightseeing tour of Denali, the tallest mountain in North America
- Two evenings at the 24-room Tsaina Lodge, set atop Thompson Pass near Valdez with views of the Worthington Glacier
- A morning hike to explore Worthington Glacier and Keystone Canyon’s waterfalls near Valdez
- Two full days on the waters of Prince William Sound with Stan Stephens Cruises, sailing past Meares and Columbia glaciers and keeping an eye out for humpback and orca whales, sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and a number of bird species, such as bald eagles
- Two nights at Orca Adventure Lodge on the shores of Prince William Sound
- An adventure day in the tiny fishing village of Cordova: bear viewing, hiking to Sheridan Glacier, sea kayaking, deep sea fishing and more
- A day in Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, including a visit to the Anchorage Museum and lunch at the award-winning restaurant, Simon & Seafort’s
As with all of our tours, “Untamed Alaska” tours are limited to 28-42 passengers per departure, which provides guests with an exclusive experience. All meals, accommodations, activities, baggage handling and transportation are included in the tour package. Rates range from $5,769 – $7,249 per person, based on occupancy, with a maximum of four people to a room. Two departures are scheduled in 2017 on June 7 and August 16.